XN 700 - White screen after hard drive fitting

Support, Help & Advice Forum

XN 700 - White screen after hard drive fitting

Postby th3barri3 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi, Im new to this forum and to repairing tills.

I have came across a problem with fitting a new hard drive to a XN 700. Ive got the hard drive and installed windows xp while it was in another machine, then fitted the driver to the till.

Started it up to get a white screen. The white screen could be a problem due to not having drivers, so i tried to remote desktop it and install the drivers.

It doesn't connect to the network and every 5 minutes the screen cuts out it beeps and i guess restarts.

Any ideas?
th3barri3

Re: XN 700 - White screen after hard drive fitting

Postby S1mon on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:53 am

Do you get anything displayed on the screen? Does it display the BIOS bootup sequence correctly and then drop to the white screen when it tries loading, or is it a white screen from the time you turn it on?

I know it's different hardware, but on things like the Uniwell ECRs and several PC-based systems, a full white screen tends to indicate a problem with the cabling to the screen.
S1mon

Postby porty on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 am

Sounds like you've disturbed a cable when you put the hard drive in.
I've never worked on one of those but I know sometimes the cable routing can pull a wire once you put the thing back together. Did it work before you put it back together? Did you get at least, as SimonTS says, the BIOS screen?
porty

Postby th3barri3 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:06 am

Hi, sorry i havn't replied to you guys, Your help is much appreciated. I get nothing but a white screen, No bios. The machine seems to just be restarting. Ill upload a YouTube video to show the machine in action. BTW I checked all cables and they are fine from what I can see.

I have a couple of questions...
Do you know if Windows XP is compatible? It was originally Windows 2000.
Do you have a any manuals about the machine?
How do you install touchscreen drivers without knowing the com port it will attach to?

Thanks again for the help. Its very annoying to have sitting in a corner.
th3barri3

Postby S1mon on Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 am

If you aren't even getting a BIOS screen then it is nothing to do with the hard drive. To not even get that much means you must have a hardware problem of some type, maybe the main board, maybe the display itself.

Was this working before you started replacing the hard drive?
S1mon

Postby th3barri3 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks for the reply SimonTS.

The machine was working before the hard drive fitting. I think something is going in bootup but i cant see it because of the screen being white. No drivers are installed yet.

Ill upload a video tomorrow showing exactly what is happening from the point of turning it on.
th3barri3

Postby S1mon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:14 pm

I'd suggest sticking the old hard-drive in as well - just to isolate possible hardware failure / loose cabling etc.

Also, is the new HDD the same as the old one? Maybe it's not compatible with the XN 700?
S1mon

Postby myteck on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi

I have repaired alot of these units over the years, the white screen will not be anything to do with the hard drive replacement, if you have the beep at startup and a white screen, it will more likely to be a problem with the display unit. There are two screws at the top of the unit which are recessed more than the others, undo these and you can tilt the lcd unit forward, careful of the ribbon cable that connects the screen to the motherboard, remove this and there are 6 screws to remove the metal plate fromthe rear of the unit, make sure the cables are all connected inside, especially the cable that plugs imto the back of the tft panel, as these do sometimes come loose. I suspect if all is well, the tft will be faulty, as the fact the backlights come on show the cabling from the motherboard to the lcd module are connected correctly. Any problems, we can fix for you!
myteck

Postby myteck on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Also

XP will be ok

When you install the ELO software, set it to auto detect
the touch panel and it will find it for you, just make sure you have installed the chipset drivers first, or it will not detect the touchscreen.

From memory, I think this will be the manual you will need

http://unit01.ru/download/Pos500/POS500 ... _Guide.pdf
myteck

Return to Other Makes / Models