ER-230EJ nightmare - PortName

Support, Help & Advice Forum

ER-230EJ nightmare - PortName

Postby UKconfused on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Hey everyone!

I've just bought a Sam4S ER-230EJ second hand and whilst I think it's working fine in itself, I am going slowly crazy with the eSpresso software! I appreciate this register is pretty obsolete these days but I'm really hoping one of you kind knowledgeable people knows what the heck is going on and can give me the 'Janet and John' solution ;)

In the eSpresso software, I've worked out how to save the register's programme to the SD card and can import/export to the register alright. However, I can't for the life of me get my customised image logo to download off the 'image logo' menu from the PC onto either the SD card or via the COM port (I've got a serial cable hooked up too, just in case it wasn't happy with the SD card).

Any time I try to 'download' the image to the till, it says TIMEOUT (when hooked via the COM port). If I take the cable out, I instead get 'PortName parameter can't be empty' (I'm assuming that's the program complaining there is no active COM cable attached).

Any idea how I fix the TIMEOUT message? I really can't believe how poor the user manual is for these till features!
UKconfused

Re: ER-230EJ nightmare - PortName

Postby andy-the-diver on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:03 pm

if it makes you feel any better, ive been in the business nearly 40 years and i struggle with it too.
the image has to adhere to several important parameters - the image size [in pixells] saved as a monochrome bitmap and ratio of black to white is also limited.
bottom line? i don't offer the service to lower end tills - its just not viable! lB !dunce

life is just too short - stick to text
andy-the-diver

Postby UKconfused on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Which is understandable, but frustrating as it was one of the reasons I bought that particular machine :)

Does anyone know how to stop that TIME OUT message?
UKconfused

Postby andy-the-diver on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:34 am

check port on pc, check port settings on till including baud rate. use check status utility to ensure these parameters first, then, before you start programming, pull back the memory from the till first - that way you are not trying to program things that are not allocated in the initial set up of the till.
andy-the-diver

Postby UKconfused on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:56 pm

andy-the-diver wrote:check port on pc, check port settings on till including baud rate. use check status utility to ensure these parameters first, then, before you start programming, pull back the memory from the till first - that way you are not trying to program things that are not allocated in the initial set up of the till.

Wow, this is NOT fun! :)

I've checked the port on PC - all well, COM1, all the info is the same as that configured for Port 1 on the till. Espresso software recognises COM1 when I add a new register, so it must be picking up something (if I unplug the port, it doesn't show any COM channel available to select at all).

However, when I hit 'Self Test' (is that what you mean by 'check status utility'?) on the till and select 'Interface' (and then Port 1, which is where it's connected), it thinks and then shows 'NG' (which I'm assuming from other settings that it means there is nothing there).

Am I being SERIOUSLY thick and missing something really obvious here? Is there a key combination I need to tap into the till or something before it recognises it on the PC?
UKconfused

Postby UKconfused on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Actually, never mind. Found a workaround - installed a VERY old copy of the 5200 PC UTILITY which has a proper image editor in it...used that, transferred resulting files to SD card, installed in my ER230-EJ and voila - images on the receipt.

SAM4S are officially evil! Never again will I buy one of these ridiculously unhelpful machines...

andy - thanks for your help, though! Really appreciated :D
UKconfused

Postby andy-the-diver on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:28 am

WELL DONE FOR THE WORK AROUND.
HOWEVER. THE SELF TEST NEEDS A LOOPBACK CONNECTOR ATTACHED TO BE ABLE TO CORRECTLY TEST THE PORT NG = NO GOOD
andy-the-diver

Return to Sam4s Cash Register Equipment