Xn Checkout Systems

Support, Help & Advice Forum

Xn Checkout Systems

Postby davidh on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:04 am

I would like to know which model EPOS is installed at my place of work.

The whole system is from Xn Checkout, but the tills and printers etc. are branded Checkout Computer Systems Ltd. or Bass Retail Systems (it's an old system)!

The tills are metal housed and servers log on via a long thin plastic key which I think works via LEDs being blocked by the holes in the key (all the keys have different amounts and arangements of holes so the till can identify which key is which).

The tills are white around the screen with a grey base. There is a contrast dial on the side of the unit for the screen. The poll displays are mounted on the wall above the till, (not attacted to the unit).

The EPOS software is monochrome, with a grey background and white text, no other colours.

The whole system is old as the back office system is completely MS DOS and the back office printer is a big fanfold dot-matrix printer.

I am just interested to know what model these tills are as the only ones i can find on the internet from Xn Checkout are the Xn 500, 700 & 900 which are not the same. (The Xn 900 is similar looking but our models do not have the Magnetic Card Reader on the side or the button on the front.

Any help you can give me will be very welcome. Thank you. :D
davidh

Re: Xn Checkout Systems

Postby andy-the-diver on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:31 pm

they were custom made for bass public houses. they are no longer supported - anywhere!
usualy, they are installed with their own dedicated power supply [there will be a line conditioner in the cellar somewhere]
You need to find someone who worked in the it support department of the bass brewery company circa 1996-2001 the company i worked for strippid out any of these systems after support was withdrawn and replaced them with uniwell or later xn900's

best of British!
andy-the-diver

Postby davidh on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks for the reply, we are probably the last place still using them! :lol:

Anyway I have a question, do you know what this error means:

*Run `SUK001

one of the tills is displaying this and will not do anything.

Thank you.
davidh

Postby critical on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 am

!what !what !what
Me too just interested to know what model these tills are as the only ones i can find on the internet from Xn Checkout are the Xn 500, 700 & 900 which are not the same.
Marten Deinum

* Senior software Engineer/Architect
* 70-553 exam Certified Trainer

Conspect 70-270 exam ICT diensten
Use the [ JN0-350 exam ] tags, young padawan
critical

Postby davidh on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:00 pm

I have found the old sales pack at work which outlines the different tills Checkout made at the time. The one I was asking about is called the Strategic Touch terminal. There are three others called: Touch Wedge, Touch Orbit and Touch PC.

I have searched all over the web for these terminals but there appears to be no information on them.

We even still have the old scatter pads (called Unipads) at work, which are placed on the front and back of the bar so you can add items to your order where ever you are. (Spirits on the back pads, beers on the front pads and bottles on the pads near the fridges).

I really love these old terminals, they are so easy to use in a bar environment, no sending/holding tickets/doing table numbers, just press the items you want and pay. I also love the server keys, they're long thin plastic with holes, which if you block up, you can log on as someone else! :D

I would really like to be able to get or design some POS software which looks and acts like these tills do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidh

Postby andy-the-diver on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:34 pm

THERE ARE SEVERAL PACKAGES OUT THERE THAT HAVE A SIMILAR LAYOUT
-IN COLOUR OF COURSE
BY THE PHOTO, ITS GOOD TO SEE THAT MY ORIGINAL POST WAS CORRECT
THESE ARE DEFO THE EX BASS SYSTEM
andy-the-diver

Postby davidh on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Your right some of the tills have a Bass Retail System logo on them, the others have a Checkout logo.

The system which we have is so complex. There are the scatter pads which are linked into a black box (about the size of a VCR player, called a Bar Mux or sales consolidator unit. Then all of that feeds into a very large white box, which then is linked to the back office PC. The white box has a screen on it which tells you the system status and it has three buttons labelled: PMUX, Reset, Fault.

The PMUX button seems to cause the recept printer to print out PMUX v3. The reset button puts the tills into stand by and the fault button appears to do nothing.

Does anyone have more information on the PMUX and Fault buttons?

What is the name of the similar looking software. Thank you.
davidh

Postby davidh on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Does anyone know what power supply these tills work on? I can't trace the wire to find out if it is plugged into a 240v outlet. The plug that goes into the till is like a kettle lead. Also does anyone have the answers to my above post question? Thank you! :D
davidh

Postby andy-the-diver on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:48 pm

in a bass pub, there is a line conditioner in the cellar that feeds a clean line throughout the building standard mains will do
andy-the-diver

Postby davidh on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Support is still going for these tills! One of the big white boxes in the cellar (not sure if it is a line conditioner, however it has a hard drive inside), stopped working this week and Checkout came out and replaced the whole unit. I don't know whether or not it was a new or reconditioned unit, but it came in a new sealed box.

I would love to know how the whole system is networked/linked together as it seems so complicated!

Firstly there is the grey box, (I have called it white previously because it used to be, before they changed it), with the hard drive inside. This box controls the tills and has three buttons on the front labeled: PMUX, Reset and Fault. PMUX causes the receipt printer to print out PMUX v.3. Reset puts the tills into stand-by and Fault appears to do nothing. The little screen next to buttons says v.3, HOT.

Then there is a large box labled Unilink and has four ports, labled PORTS 1-4, plus one on it's own labled DATA, and small boxes underneith are labled Turbines and have four small LEDs at the bottom and four at the top, which are labeled ports 1-4. These are in the cellar.

Behind the bar there are two boxes labeled Bar Mux, and they are a bit bigger than the Unilink (above). When you turn the power off to them, the scatter pads turn off but the tills stay on and function correctly.
Last edited by davidh on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidh

Next

Return to Other Makes / Models